Sunday 23 October 2011

Faith despite circumstances...


(Rembrandt's Christ in the storm on the sea of Galilee, 1632)


One of the most astonishing faith statements in the Bible:


Job says: "For I know that my Redemeer lives and He shall stand at last on the earth...in my flesh I shall see God. I shall see Him for myself- my own eyes will behold Him...oh how my heart yearns within me." Job 19:25-27.


Context/Circumstances: Job loses most of his family, his home and even his health. Everyone around him thinks that God has cursed him. Much like today, people assumed that when bad things happened, it was because God willed it, rather than taking into consideration the existence of God's enemy, Satan, and also the role of human choice. However, despite his circumstances, Job refuses to believe that God has abandoned him.


Some of us have difficult circumstances in our life whilst others of us (myself included) have not met with much suffering or hardship. One thing that is for sure in this life though is that God wants to give us the opportunity to walk through this life with peace, security, confidence and hope. He wants us to know that He is on our side: "..if God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" Romans 8: 31, 32.


What do you think about Job's attitude? What has been your experience? What would you like it to be in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment