Thursday 8 September 2011

the pursuit of Happiness


I have a very humble garden on my balcony. The other day I was transfixed by the beauty of this lavender flower. Despite many many blessings in my life, I often allow little things to rob me of joy and get me depressed, irritated, anxious or stressed. My friend Anna J got a phrase stuck in my mind a while ago- "Attitude of Gratitude!" and I've been repeating it to myself as a cure for whenever I feel tempted to complain. Here are my favourite happiness quotes:

I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy. 
-Rabindranath Tagore


Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.
 -Leo Tolstoy.


The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not.  ~George Bernard Shaw


Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have. – Unknown


"Ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be made full." John 16:24


The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.  ~Mark Twain


"The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10



Here's a photo of a little person that gives me great joy. Photo (and chook) courtesy of my sister.



No comments:

Post a Comment