Sunday 28 August 2011

Monday Manna on Money




I had buyers regret last week after buying something online. Or rather, as I read an article about the situation in Somalia, God's Spirit whispered to me, "Did you really need to buy that?" Hmm, the concept of need/necessity can be pretty subjective! Would you believe it, I struggled for a day and a half on this issue before returning the item. I could have given some other money to charity and kept my prized item of clothing but then I would just be giving out of my abundance rather than actually sacrificing for someone else. I don't think I've ever had to sacrifice for someone else! So the problem wasn't the money, it was my heart- God knew that at that moment, I cared more about that item of clothing (and how awesome I would feel wearing it) then about the kids in Somalia. God loves us too much to let us live a small, selfish life. I know that if He left me to myself, I would devote all of my time and money to making myself comfortable in this life, trying to have all the fun I can and just pursuing my own interests and goals. But God has much bigger, longer-lasting dreams for us! I guess we need an eternal perspective...

"Money has great value, because it can do great good. In the hands of God's children it is food for the hungry, drink for the thirsty, and clothing for the naked. It is a defense for the oppressed and a means of help to the sick. But money is of no more value than sand, only as it is put to use in providing for the necessities [necessities!there's that word again!] of our life, in blessing others, and advancing the cause of Christ." -Christ's Object Lessons.

"Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. Command those who are rich in this present age not to be proud, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life." 1 Timothy 6 excerpts...

P.s. How rich are you? Check out your salary compared to everyone else.
http://www.globalrichlist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment